how to be a SPI????

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

glyn

how to be a SPI????

Post by glyn »

or whatever the abbreviation is for sport pilot instructor.

is there a website out there that tells you step by step what you need and what you have to do to become a sport pilot instructor?

thanks,
glyn
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Glyn - I guess a lot of the answer depends on where you're coming from. I'm assuming you're already a certified pilot.

Take a look:

http://sportpilot.org/interest/new.html

Hours, instruction, tests, and checkride. That'll do it!

Tom
glyn

Post by glyn »

yes, i hold a ppl...

from what that is saying, all you have to do is go through your local CFI to be an instructor.
it says you have to pass a written. now, it that the "written" that i already passed to get my ppl?

if so then i guess i just need to study an FOI and do a checkride...
www.sportflyers.org

www.ussportplanes.com

if you can't fly right.... fly upside down
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

the best place to find the basics is

http://www.sport-pilot-training.com/end ... s_cfia.htm

it is simply
New Sport Pilot Certified Flight Instructor (CFIS) candidate

Hold at least a Sport Pilot certificate.
Receive training and endorsement from Sport Pilot CFI to take the computer based knowledge test and the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) tests.
Pass the FOI test.
Pass the CFI knowledge test for specific category.
Meet ALL Sport Pilot CFI requirements per 61.407 through 61.411. Time logged in an Ultralight is allowed per FAR 61.53 until January 31, 2008. However, the checkride must be in an N-numbered aircraft.
Obtain and log training within 60 days before practical test.
Obtain endorsement for practical test from Sport Pilot CFI in log book and on 8710-11 form.
Pass CFI sport practical test with DPE/SPIE. Click here to find a DPE. (Chose from the "Examiner Listing" at bottom of page.)
Receive Sport Pilot CFI Certificate and log book endorsement for type of aircraft used for Practical test.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Paul could the sport pilot CFI training be performed by, 'for lack of a better way of putting it, a CFI that can also teach recreational, private or commercial pilots.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

for lack of a better word I use regular CFI or simply CFI.

Yes, any CFI can train a CFIS applicant.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites