CFIS Questions

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

smutny

CFIS Questions

Postby smutny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 pm

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around getting a Sport Pilot CFI rating. Currently a PPL, with an expired Class III. Cruised through the forums here and some other web searches on the subject.

Good thread on here from a few years ago about the 61 Subpart H (CFI) vs K (CFIS) ratings. Reading through the FAR's, I'm having a tough time pinpointing chapter and verse where that is spelled out. Basically trying to determine if that is still the rule.

The next question I have is can a CFIS, using a LSA aircraft, perform training to any pilot, regardless of rating held, for hire? Namely, can a CFIS do tailwheel, aerobatic, seaplane, etc., for hire, in LSA aircraft? Can that extend to non-rating/endorsement training such as back country flying if done in a LSA? Or is a CFIS limited to basic flight training for hire?

EDIT: I think I answered my own question by seeking the definition of "operating privilege". My interpretation is that a CFIS can only provide training or endorsements for sport pilot only. So a private pilot can not seek a tailwheel endorsement from a CFIS.

Jim Hardin

Re: CFIS Questions

Postby Jim Hardin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:55 am

Most of your answers will be found in 61.413 as well as 61.415

Some gray areas still exist since you hold a PP ASEL That is where you contact your local FSDO or AOPA and EAA.

It is a bit of a cop out but when it comes to the FAR's even the FAA does not always agree with themselves.

Helen

Postby Helen » Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am

The next question I have is can a CFIS, using a LSA aircraft, perform training to any pilot, regardless of rating held, for hire? Namely, can a CFIS do tailwheel, aerobatic, seaplane, etc., for hire, in LSA aircraft? Can that extend to non-rating/endorsement training such as back country flying if done in a LSA?

Yes to all.

Of all of those things the only one that has any caveats is SES since SES is a rating. In that case, if the applicant seeks a rating higher than sport, a subpart H instructor needs to also go through all of the items that will be on the exam and sign the 8710. I work with a subpart K instructor for seaplane rating and if he does the bulk of the training for a PP add-on, I do the final stage check and sign the 8710. This is legal because there is no time requirement for training towards a SES add-on.

We have 10 years of experience dealing with this regulatory maze. Give me a ring if you ever have questions: 410-604-1717

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Affordable Flight Training and Rentals
Factory Authorized SeaRey Training, Service, and Sales Center
www.chesapeakesportpilot.com

smutny

Postby smutny » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks, Helen, I will do just that when the time comes. Need to first finish up the ratings and then plan out what's next. Appreciate the feedback.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”