Air Venture Cup Race

Every summer, the EAA puts on the greatest flying show on earth. Mark your calendars! http://www.airventure.org/

Moderator: drseti

newamiga

Air Venture Cup Race

Post by newamiga »

Folks.. I don't know if you have heard of the Air Venture Cup race? It is a fun bit of cross country air racing with awards to the top three in each class at Wendt's on the Lake in Oshkosh. I have worked as a volunteer turn point person one year, and this year I will be entering my Gobosh S-LSA in the race. It is fun as we will have a day in Mitchell South Dakota with the local folks who come out to check out the race planes and cool cars at the airport. They do a ton of young eagle rides and then on Sunday before OSH starts the race goes from Mitchell to Mankato MN and ends at Wassau WI. The racers then fly into OSH, or land elsewhere. It is a really fun event and would be even more fun if we could get a couple more LSA's to enter. If you are thinking of going to Oshkosh this year and want to add some fun to the trip in, check out this link.. http://www.airventurecuprace.com/

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
newamiga

Re: Air Venture Cup Race

Post by newamiga »

I just got my official race number today. I will be "Race 18". It turns out there is one other LSA in the race, a RV-12. I find this funny coincidence since I am also building a RV-12. It should be a fun race with over 50 planes running it. Fingers crossed for good weather and a fast time. My wife is my co-pilot and this is her first trip to OSH so it should be double the fun :)

Carl
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Got my race numbers applied this Saturday. I was doing some testing and was seeing 114-115kts TAS at 7500 ft over Denver this weekend too. I guess I will cross my fingers that the RV-12 I am racing against can't do 120 TAS :). We leave for Mitchell SD on Friday and race to OSH or rather Wassau and then fly into OSH on Sunday the 27th.

Carl

newamiga

Post by newamiga »

We had a great day of flying Young Eagles out here in Mitchell South Dakota today and the pre-race dinner. I had dinner with the gentleman flying the RV-12 against me in the race. He has a beautiful plane. I suspect he is a couple knots quicker and he weighs less for sure. I guess we shall see how the race goes tomorrow. Fingers crossed for decent weather. It doesn't look so good the closer we get to Oshkosh tomorrow.

Carl
drseti

Post by drseti »

Carl, did you get an LoA from the manufacturer for applying those numbers? Amend your Wt/Bal?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US