RV-12 For Sale $59,900

Got something to buy or sell? Post it here!

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

RV-12 For Sale $59,900

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Not mine, but I wish it was! I even like the color!
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/mobile/se ... e=aircraft
Merlinspop

Re: RV-12 For Sale $59,900

Post by Merlinspop »

Finished 3+ years ago with all of 50 hours on it. Also has a Viking engine. I’d rather get one built per Vans.
- Bruce
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Yeah, the scuttle on the EAA forum regarding this Honda/Viking engine tends to agree with you. But that was a few years ago, and things may have improved. Applying simple logic and a fair amount of ignorance, it seems to me to be a good idea. We know the Vans RV-12 is a solid performer, that's an established fact (with a Rotax 912, that is). But given Honda's stellar reputation for building incredible engines (cars, boats, motorcycles and planes) I can't help but think this idea is worthy of a fair trial. Experimental aircrafts have been built and flown using all types of engines, including VW and Corvair. How much worse could this be? It would be nice to hear from someone who has actual experience with this configuration.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, if your goal is to prove that Honda engines can be used in aircraft with a reasonable change of success then this is probably the way to go...

On the other hand , if your goal is just to fly a plane with minimum risk and hassle possible then buying this plane borders on insanity ... imho.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Insanity, probably so. And where in the wide world of sports could an owner ever find someone qualified to work on it? Your local Honda dealer? Just fly in, leave it, and pick up a loaner?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

A local Honda dealer would be indeed insane to allow their mechanics to work on a Honda engine installed in a plane.

The bottom line here is that , yes you can fly on such engines but it wherever you go you will always be facing an "it may work but don't quote me on that" attitude ... not for me :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

600 lbs for the engine? Or did I miss something?

I think Viking themselves would be the go to guy on any questions of service. Likewise I'll bet they have a list of recommended service locations.

That said, anyone know if it might be true :?
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Some folks on the Zenith list are flying Vikings and really seem to like them. I don't think they have been around long enough to have any reliability data available, but no one has mentioned any problems.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Sorry for the thread drift, but the new RV-12is looks very nice. A lot of good improvements. Wish I was in the market, or had time for a kit build.
- Bruce
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Zenith.aero (site for all things Zenith) has just added a dedicated forum for Viking Power.
The site and the forums require approval from the site admin, but interest in Viking should be sufficient justification even if you aren't a Zenith enthusiast. Jan (Designer of the conversion and owner of Viking) has been hanging out on the Zenith lists for months. So, it's probably a go place to ask questions if you are interested.

Disclaimer, I'm a Corvair guy, couldn't care less about Viking.

ron
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

This all caught my interest as a result of visiting the EAA museum, and the adjacent Pioneer airfield hangars. It seems all sort of engines have been stuck in all sorts of flying contraptions over the years. The Honda Fit engine is a marvel of engineering; lightweight, powerful (for it's size), reliable and economical. Liquid cooling came to motorcycles a few years ago, vastly improving performance and longevity. Prestone coolers were common in WWII on the P38, P39, P40, and P51 to mention a few fighter planes. So the logic is sound enough, and time will tell if this may hail a new trend in small aircraft design.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote: Prestone coolers were common in WWII on the P38, P39, P40, and P51 to mention a few fighter planes. So the logic is sound enough, and time will tell if this may hail a new trend in small aircraft design.
I think it already has, since the Rotax 912 has liquid cooled heads.
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

A year later and this RV-12 / Viking remains for sale.

It looks nice, so I contacted the agent (first checking the Viking site).

The Viking web page shows mandatory parts replacements required for the 110 (flywheel, idler pullly, etc.) They no longer sell the model 110 engine.

The agent advised that these parts had not yet been replaced, and estimated it would cost between $1500-$3000.

I am not dissuaded from a Viking engine, but am not prepared to buy a project, and so will keep looking.