[ANDROID APP]: Flight Gear

Got something to buy or sell? Post it here!

Moderator: drseti

FlightGear

[ANDROID APP]: Flight Gear

Post by FlightGear »

Flight Gear is an all-in-one Android app that contains backup flight instruments, important calculators, and other useful utilities for pilots. Instead of having to download and pay for multiple aviation apps, pilots can simply download this single app as a consolidated source for all their aviation needs.

NOTE: Please let me know by replying to this thread if you'd like to see another feature implemented in this app. The only way I can make the app better is by listening to my customers' comments and suggestions. I am fully open to all comments and criticism, so don't hesitate to tell me if there's something you'd like to say about the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tgear_free

A YouTube demonstration can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Pj9pBbyPs

FEATURES:

[*]Photorealistic Attitude Indicator (Uses gyroscope/accelerometer). Can serve as a backup instrument in case your cockpit instrument fails.
[*]Photorealistic Heading Indicator
[*]Weight & Balance calculator. Instead of having to calculate your moments and CG by hand every time you fly, you can simply save your aircraft's profile (Empty weight, CG Limits, Fuel Consumption, Arm Lengths, etc) and reuse the data that doesn't change. The app will also alert you if you go out of your aircraft's CG Limits or Max Takeoff Weight. Supports multiple aircraft.
[*]Handy E6B Calculator functions. Enter your values and the tool will convert them to every type of parameter that it can think of. Currently includes Wind correction angle, crosswind calculator, pressure converter, distance, volume (Jet A1, Jet A, and AVGAS 100LL), True Airspeed Conversion, and Speed.
[*]Fuel timer. Use it as a supplement to your fuel gauges to estimate how much time you left in the air. Enter your total tank capacity, current fuel levels and your GPH rating. The app will start a countdown timer and also automatically alert you when you have 30 mins left.
[*]Flight timer. A simple and attractive alternative to having to carry around another gadget with you whenever you fly. Displays Zulu Time underneath the Elapsed Flight Time for quick reference.
[*]Dashboard: View your Attitude Indicator, Heading Indicator, Fuel Timer, and Flight Timer all in one screen.
[*]Auto ATC Notepad [BETA]: Currently in BETA, but it works relatively well. Whenever you get a call from ATC, simply tap on the record button and everything you readback to ATC will be transcribed onto the app. Again, this feature is still being trained to understand every type of Aviation lingo so it may be a bit off at times.
[*]Manual ATC Notepad: If the Auto ATC Notepad isn't a viable option for you, you can simply set your assigned instructions in this tool by swiping through the most common parameters (altitude, speed, heading). You can also take miscellaneous notes in the same tool if ATC gives you special instructions.
FlightGear

Re: [ANDROID APP]: Flight Gear

Post by FlightGear »

UPDATE:

Flight Gear v1.1 is now out! I followed the suggestions of a few fellow pilots to help improve the app even further. Here's what's new/what's changed:

-- Updated Trial Version:
The trial version of the app is no longer restricted to 48 hours. Instead, you will be able to use the each feature of the app 5 times, irrespective of one another. For example, you will be able to use the Attitude Indicator 5 times, the CG Calculator 5 times, etc. Please uninstall the current version of your trial app and reinstall it from the Google Play store to clear the time limit.

-- ATC Playback (NEW):
With this feature, you can record everything that goes on between you and ATC. You will be able to scan through your recording and replay sections of it, in case you accidentally miss something they said. Please note that you will need a compatible 4-pole 3.5mm auxiliary cable that plugs into your Android device's headphone jack (http://ask.creative.com/wwimages/rage/rage_4pole_a.jpg). The other end of the cable will plug into your radio stack's output jack (The other end of the cable will be the same type as your headset's plug). You can find these cables at your local RadioShack or other electronics store. Email me or message me if you'd like more clarification on how to get this to work.

-- Simplified Weight & Balance Screen:
I removed the arm lengths from the Weight & Balance screen to make it look less cluttered and reduce the risk of accidentally changing a wrong value. You can always modify your arm lengths by tapping on "Edit Aircraft" in the top right corner of the Weight & Balance screen. The full details of the aircraft will be available on that page for editing.

If you have any more questions or suggestions, please message or email me ([email protected]). As always, I'm open to improving this app and making it fit around your needs!
FlightGear

Post by FlightGear »

BUMP. Anyone interested in this app? I just upped the trial version limit to 10 uses per feature (up from the original 5). Let me know if you guys would like to see other features incorporated into the app. As of right now, I will be adding an A F/D database into the app. Is there anything else that anyone would like to see?
FlightGear

Post by FlightGear »

UPDATE: Flight Gear v2.0 is now out!

This new version comes with the FAA's Airport Facility Directory (A F/D) integrated into the app. When you download the app (or update it), you will be able to access all ~19,500 US airports' data. The app now includes data such as radio frequencies, general airport information, the airport map, hours of operations, etc.

You can search for airports by their name, airport ID, or city. Additionally, the app includes over 2,000 Navigation beacons' information as well. Simply tap on an airport name in the search results list to access information about that airport.

IMPORTANT: You must have a PDF viewer (such as Adobe Reader (Free)) installed on your device to view airport information. When you first access the airport directory, the app will optimize its database for quick searching. Please be patient as this process may take a few minutes (if you have an older device, it can take as long as 5 minutes). This process only needs to be done one time. If your device says that the app isn't responding, don't quit the app. It is still running its optimization processes in the background and it just may take a few more minutes to respond.

Also, I had to raise the price of the paid app by $1 because I'm using a yearly subscription program for optimizing the airport data in the database. The program costs me about $3000 a year to sustain and as you can imagine, this amount adds up very quickly. I will be updating the airport directories regularly (every 3 months is when the FAA updates them) so rest assured that this extra $1 that you pay is going benefiting you directly. I hope you guys understand.

As always, if you guys have any questions, comments, issues, or suggestions, feel free to post on this thread, send me a PM, or email me directly at [email protected].
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Any hope for an iOS version? I'm interested in anything that i can directly communicate with the developer about, just not on android :)
FlightGear

Post by FlightGear »

Flight Gear probably won't be available on iOS for a few more months, actually. The problem is that you need a Mac to develop for Apple's devices and I simply don't have the resources right now to buy one. Hopefully, I can get it rolled out during the summer though.