Looking for fire sleeve end dip

Got something to buy or sell? Post it here!

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Looking for fire sleeve end dip

Post by FastEddieB »

Roger Lee pointed out that the fire sleeve on my Sky Arrow was left completely unfinished, compromising the purpose of the fire sleeve by leaving the ends exposed to the elements and to flame:

I need enough fire sleeve "end dip" to seal the ends of about 5 or 6 hoses. Before I order a can of the "good stuff" for $136 (!) from Aircraft Spruce, does anyone have extra just laying around who might want to recoup some of their expense? Or maybe go 50/50 on a can from Aircraft Spruce (I think its a quart)?

Let me know at [email protected] - thanks!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Eddie, I don't dip 'em. Instead, I run a bead of red high-temp RTV around the ends (hopefully, before they fray). You can buy a good Permatex silicon sealant in a tube from your local NAPA (National Air Parts Association :wink: ) store.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Thanks for that.

After watching the EAA video at http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=44938120001 and being a little anal, I kinda had my heart set on end dip.

But, realistically speaking, I guess the high-temp RTV route would also work - as long as the ends are clamped down properly the chance of fire propagating past the ends seems basically nil anyway. The homebuilders around me also said they go the RTV route - and they give anal a whole new dimension!

I still need to order the clamps and the tools from another source - I'll keep you apprised of how the project turns out.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Aircraft Spruce has the sleeve, clamps, and two different clamp installation tools, one very expensive, the other around $25. Unless you're planning to go into the hose business, get the cheap one! :wink:

Oh, and when it comes to aircraft maintenance (and flying), anal is good!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US