ADSB-B in and out

Constructive topics of interest related to aviation that do not match the other section descriptions below (as long as it is somewhat related to aviation, flying, learning to fly, sport pilot, light sport aircraft, etc.). Please, advertisements for Viagra will be promptly deleted!"

Moderator: drseti

Warmi
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm

For me the problem is not the hardware itself but someone who can install this stuff ( GDL 82) on my light sport ( not experimental ) plane ... :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5803
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby drseti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Warmi wrote:For me the problem is not the hardware itself but someone who can install this stuff ( GDL 82) on my light sport ( not experimental ) plane ... :D


After deciding exactly what you want to install, before you buy anything, you'd best contact the manufacturer and request an LoA. Once that's granted, go ahead and buy. Armed with the LoA, any avionics shop, A&P or LSRM should be able to do the installation. (Without the LoA, you'd be wasting your money by buying something that probably won't be approved.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Warmi
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm

drseti wrote:
Warmi wrote:For me the problem is not the hardware itself but someone who can install this stuff ( GDL 82) on my light sport ( not experimental ) plane ... :D


After deciding exactly what you want to install, before you buy anything, you'd best contact the manufacturer and request an LoA. Once that's granted, go ahead and buy. Armed with the LoA, any avionics shop, A&P or LSRM should be able to do the installation. (Without the LoA, you'd be wasting your money by buying something that probably won't be approved.)


I do have a blanket Loa from the manufacturer for pretty much all Garmin ADSB products ( it literally says “all models”) so it is just a matter of finding a shop - and that’s the problem, nobody wants to bother with such minor upgrade :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

Warmi
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 pm

BTW .. I think TL Ultralight is pretty much the best case scenario when it comes to LOA and equipment related inquiries ...

For instance their MEL for ADSB equipment is simply :

MEL.jpg
MEL.jpg (78.39 KiB) Viewed 1957 times


Can't beat that :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Warmi wrote:I do have a blanket Loa from the manufacturer for pretty much all Garmin ADSB products ( it literally says “all models”) so it is just a matter of finding a shop - and that’s the problem, nobody wants to bother with such minor upgrade :D


How do they consider this a "minor upgrade"? You are not "upgrading" anything. They would be installing new avionics equipment. And making money in the process. You mean you can't find an avionics shop that wants to take your money? This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. :mrgreen:

PS - you might want to skip #14, just sayin'

Warmi
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm

So far , the shops I been talking to work on upgrading certified planes with price tags ranging from 50k up ... this sort of work I need is a waste of time for them. I need to find some smaller operation , somebody like 3Dreaming but who is willing to install avionics :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby MrMorden » Tue May 01, 2018 7:18 am

Warmi wrote:BTW .. I think TL Ultralight is pretty much the best case scenario when it comes to LOA and equipment related inquiries ...

For instance their MEL for ADSB equipment is simply :

MEL.jpg

Can't beat that :D


Sure you can...uAvionix is not on the list! :mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Wm.Ince
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Wm.Ince » Tue May 01, 2018 11:48 am

MrMorden wrote:
Warmi wrote:BTW .. I think TL Ultralight is pretty much the best case scenario when it comes to LOA and equipment related inquiries ...
For instance their MEL for ADSB equipment is simply :
MEL.jpg
Can't beat that :D

Sure you can...uAvionix is not on the list! :mrgreen:

x2
Bill Ince
CTSW
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator

Warmi
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Tue May 01, 2018 11:52 am

Well .... ok :D , I would have to send a letter to TL Ultralight to get uAvionix on the list - no problem at all .. and the main difference would be that once it gets on that list it would be available to everyone - which , to my understanding, is not the case with many other manufacturers.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby MrMorden » Tue May 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Warmi wrote:Well .... ok :D , I would have to send a letter to TL Ultralight to get uAvionix on the list - no problem at all .. and the main difference would be that once it gets on that list it would be available to everyone - which , to my understanding, is not the case with many other manufacturers.


That part is true, there are very few "blanket approvals" for the Flight Design airplanes, for example. And even for those you still have to submit an MRA (major repair or alteration) form to FD for their files, for which they'll charge you $75.

Sounds like TL is doing it right, from a customer perspective.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

rsteele
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby rsteele » Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Warmi wrote:So far , the shops I been talking to work on upgrading certified planes with price tags ranging from 50k up ... this sort of work I need is a waste of time for them. I need to find some smaller operation , somebody like 3Dreaming but who is willing to install avionics :D


Try some places as smaller fields down state a bit. Check with the local EAA chapter. They should either have someone who can do the work or know an A&P that's happy to work on EAB's. Such a person would probably be happy to work on an LSA also. Some of these people are part timers that have "real" jobs and do this sort of work for flying money, but that doesn't mean they down't know what they are about.

User avatar
JJay
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby JJay » Sun May 27, 2018 3:39 pm

I would have to send a letter to TL Ultralight to get uAvionix on the list - no problem at all ..


But the uAvionix skyBeacon (wing tip light) won't work on a Sting - correct? The Nav lights on a Sting are inside a cover. I know uAvionix is coming out with a tail light (tailBeacon) but I have a strong feeling that it will be much larger than the tail light on a Sting.

I too have figured the Garmin GDL-82 might be my best option. If I can get a friendly A&P to take on the task, I'm worried it's still going to end up in the price range of a GTX-335 (transponder swap-out).

Anyone put a GDL-82 in a Sting?
____________________________
2006 Sting Sport N686N

Warmi
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Sun May 27, 2018 4:04 pm

JJay wrote:
I would have to send a letter to TL Ultralight to get uAvionix on the list - no problem at all ..


But the uAvionix skyBeacon (wing tip light) won't work on a Sting - correct? The Nav lights on a Sting are inside a cover. I know uAvionix is coming out with a tail light (tailBeacon) but I have a strong feeling that it will be much larger than the tail light on a Sting.

I too have figured the Garmin GDL-82 might be my best option. If I can get a friendly A&P to take on the task, I'm worried it's still going to end up in the price range of a GTX-335 (transponder swap-out).

Anyone put a GDL-82 in a Sting?


I am talking to http://www.midwestskysports.com/ to have it installed ( GDL 82 ) + some other minor avionics related work - currently waiting for a quote.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Sun May 27, 2018 8:12 pm

MrMorden wrote:That part is true, there are very few "blanket approvals" for the Flight Design airplanes, for example. And even for those you still have to submit an MRA (major repair or alteration) form to FD for their files, for which they'll charge you $75.

Sounds like TL is doing it right, from a customer perspective.


You should be so lucky to simply have to submit some paperwork and pay $75 to make a change, this sounds like FD is doing it right as well, sounds like heaven to me. :mrgreen:

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 pm

JJay wrote:But the uAvionix skyBeacon (wing tip light) won't work on a Sting - correct? The Nav lights on a Sting are inside a cover. I know uAvionix is coming out with a tail light (tailBeacon) but I have a strong feeling that it will be much larger than the tail light on a Sting.

I too have figured the Garmin GDL-82 might be my best option. If I can get a friendly A&P to take on the task, I'm worried it's still going to end up in the price range of a GTX-335 (transponder swap-out).

Anyone put a GDL-82 in a Sting?


The GDL-82 is a clean and simple install and works really well. You won't be disappointed at all with Garmin's unit. I have one installed (not in a Sting) and love it.

Swapping out a 327 transponder for the 335 will be more work and more money all around. There's nothing simple about a transponder swap when you are swapping the trays and terminating all new wires for the high density connector connector on the 335. The 335 has a 62 pin connector and the 327 has a 25 pin connector, there are a few more wires needed. :mrgreen: The 335 is about 2 inches longer than the 327 so be sure you have the room if you go this route. Just food for thought.


Return to “Hangar Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests