Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Constructive topics of interest related to aviation that do not match the other section descriptions below (as long as it is somewhat related to aviation, flying, learning to fly, sport pilot, light sport aircraft, etc.). Please, advertisements for Viagra will be promptly deleted!"

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby Wm.Ince » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:31 am

TimTaylor wrote:God has blessed me, no thanks to you. And I resent you using God in a personal attack. Typical. What a hypocrit you are.

Ah . . yes . . resentments!
That's like drinking the poisen and expecting the other person to die.
Good luck with that.
Bill Ince
CTSW
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator

User avatar
Jim Hardin
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby Jim Hardin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:22 am

As to the original subject, no I am not particularly comfortable discussing my health or reasons for my decision with anyone! But I do chuckle when I park in a handicap slot at the airport :) ~ they should have those on the ramp as well.

But I have self grounded recently while I undergo another round of therapy until my reactions can be identified. Agent Orange is the gift that keeps on giving...

TimTaylor
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:15 am

The lead singer in my band died 2 years ago from early onset Alzheimer's presumably due to exposure to Agent Orange. He was only 67.

pjdavis
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: Freeland, MD

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby pjdavis » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Oh well another thread bites the dust...Never thought that a comment about a government agency making something so complicated would be read as a statement of left versus right. And of course now we are hearing that only the right can afford the best airplanes...what topic will be hijacked next?

Leave these arguments on FB...

3Dreaming
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby 3Dreaming » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 pm

TimTaylor wrote:It is clear that the majority of posters on these sport pilot web sites are Republicans. They are the ones that can afford to purchase a new LSA. That is even more evident on CTFliers than here. So, every so often, someone makes a snarky comment that is derogatory toward Democrats or the values of Democrats. I, being one of the few Democrats here, choose to call them out. That's all. Tearing down the federal government and it's agencies is right out of the Republican game plan. "We're going to shrink the federal government until we can drown it in the bathtub." I never introduce political rhetoric, I just react to it.


I wouldn't say that I am a Democrat or Republican, though my personal views lean more to the conservative side. I don't make directly political comments, but I may state my opinion regardless of which side it favors. After all pilots are often opinionated.

That being said this is a aviation forum that deals with light sport aircraft and sport pilots. The reason I am here is because I own, fly, instruct in, and perform maintenance on light sport aircraft. I look at the other members here in the same light. I certainly don't think of other forum members as Democrat or Republican. Most who post here don't even make me think about them in a political point of view. They are here for the same reason I am, aviation, and specifically light sport aviation.

I think you are wrong on your assessment that most of the forum members are republicans. Most don't make their political affiliation known. They are here because of aviation, not political affiliation.

Personally I don't care that you are a democrat, as long as you keep your post civil and for the most part aviation related. I was OK with you talking about your car. The issue I have is that your hatred of people who you assume are republicans has made you so bigoted that you see attacks where there are none. This thread is a good example. Someone made a simple comment based on personal observation. Without knowing their political affiliation, because of your political bias and bigotry you attacked them, calling it a political assault. I certainly didn't see it as an attack, and I doubt most other forum members did either.

TimTaylor
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:30 pm

My best friend and flying buddy is a Republican. We just agree not to discuss politics and/or push each other's buttons on the issues.

chicagorandy
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby chicagorandy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:55 pm

And I used think decades ago that my children got into some silly arguments back and forth.

I'm a relative newbie, but isn't this the website where they talk about airplane stuff?

User avatar
Half Fast
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby Half Fast » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:17 pm

chicagorandy wrote:And I used think decades ago that my children got into some silly arguments back and forth.

I'm a relative newbie, but isn't this the website where they talk about airplane stuff?



I suggest you put TimTaylor on your ignore list, as I have. If enough of us ignore him, it will be as if he isn't here and we can get back to discussing shiny flying objects and those who pilot them.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

TimTaylor
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:42 pm

You're the person who started talking about cars and bicycles and the feds.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby 3Dreaming » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:45 pm

TimTaylor wrote:My best friend and flying buddy is a Republican. We just agree not to discuss politics and/or push each other's buttons on the issues.


Maybe you should treat this forum like you and your friends relationship. I don't think anyone here is trying to push your buttons, except for me on occasion. :wink: I don't think anyone here is making secret snarky attacks on the Democrats.

TimTaylor
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 pm

That's fine with me. I would prefer it that way.

User avatar
WDD
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby WDD » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:25 pm

So.... back to the topic.

New guy to flying here. Just passed my written (95%) and am now looking for an instructor. Why not a PPL? Seems to be the question every local CFI asked me.

Seems Sport Pilots aren't real pilots, you can only fly around your home airport, you can never rent a plane, "we don't teach that", there are only 150 recreational pilots which means this type of license is no good, you can only fly tiny clown car planes, and something else about causing global warming. Think about it. I tell them I want to give them money to rent their airplane and pay them to teach me, and I see their planes aren't flying all the time and instructors need hours to get their commercial. And they'd rather not.

Net-net, the GA community around here not very friendly, and not on your side. So no, I'm not going to discuss anything about my health, background, reasons for flying, what kind of car I drive - nothing besides my name, rank, and serial number. Why would I?

So it seems that if you have kidney stones you can't get a medical? What about a plantar wart on your foot? And that is the other reason I'm doing Sport. I get the sense that if I sneeze the wrong way I'm barred for life from getting a 3rd class, and barred for life from a Sport Pilot license.

Warmi
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby Warmi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Completely agree but.... to be frank the recreational pilot license was complete BS - a typical design by committee.

True, there are only 5 K or so pure Sport Pilots out there but there are many , many more PP pilots flying under SP license so , overall, I think this new license was more reasonable "design" ( albeit still by a committee and it still shows :-) ) .
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
FastEddieB
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby FastEddieB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:01 am

WDD wrote:So.... back to the topic....
So it seems that if you have kidney stones you can't get a medical?


To be fair, stones of a certain size in certain locations are not disqualifying - I flew for a couple decades with Special Issuances with various small stones rattling around.

The problem was the annual hassle, expense and uncertainty determining the sizes and locations of said stones. And possible over-treatment if and when someone other than my urologist decided a certain stone was problematical.

I still track them, but the fly/no fly decision is between me and my urologist.

The same thing is true for many other conditions. BasicMed after just one successful Medical is a bit more convoluted than the simple driver’s license of Sport Pilots, but still a huge step for many of us.

As an aside, I feel “blessed” that kidney stones are my biggest recurring health issue. They’re not exactly fun, but are still basically a “plumbing problem” for which the treatment is pretty straightforward - and a lot less traumatic than in the 1980’s!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
FastEddieB@mac.com

User avatar
Jim Hardin
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Were you comfortable explaining to your fellow pilots you became a sport pilot because of a medical reason?

Postby Jim Hardin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:17 am

WDD wrote:So.... back to the topic.

New guy to flying here. Just passed my written (95%) and am now looking for an instructor. Why not a PPL? Seems to be the question every local CFI asked me.

Seems Sport Pilots aren't real pilots, you can only fly around your home airport, you can never rent a plane, "we don't teach that", there are only 150 recreational pilots which means this type of license is no good, you can only fly tiny clown car planes, and something else about causing global warming. Think about it. I tell them I want to give them money to rent their airplane and pay them to teach me, and I see their planes aren't flying all the time and instructors need hours to get their commercial. And they'd rather not.

Net-net, the GA community around here not very friendly, and not on your side. So no, I'm not going to discuss anything about my health, background, reasons for flying, what kind of car I drive - nothing besides my name, rank, and serial number. Why would I?

So it seems that if you have kidney stones you can't get a medical? What about a plantar wart on your foot? And that is the other reason I'm doing Sport. I get the sense that if I sneeze the wrong way I'm barred for life from getting a 3rd class, and barred for life from a Sport Pilot license.


I can do both sides of the coin. As a CFI when introduced to a perspective customer, I inquire about going the Private Pilot path. Many are just plain stingy and the 20 hours vs. 40 really sounds $$$ to them. Pretty weak argument when you explain that it is performance based. Likewise they may not be aware of the Basic Med. A CFI cannot assume that everyone has their motivations and should be treated that way. One of mine wanted a Sport Pilot as a stepping stone while he finished High School on his way to a airline pilot career via Embry-Riddle. Should my approach with him be the same as everyone else? And just so you know, Instructors already have a Commercial Certificate.

With the right endorsements, a Sport Pilot is free to fly pretty much anywhere. But the fact that they do not know that and won't admit it is discouraging.

I would also consider talking with the owner. If you get lucky, he will be one who recognizes you as a Customer and is ready to make sure your needs are being met!

Last resort? Ultralights :D They are not regulated but getting some dual in GA or LSA is recommended.


Return to “Hangar Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests