Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Constructive topics of interest related to aviation that do not match the other section descriptions below (as long as it is somewhat related to aviation, flying, learning to fly, sport pilot, light sport aircraft, etc.). Please, advertisements for Viagra will be promptly deleted!"

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby 3Dreaming » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 am

Atrosa wrote:The only reason I like low wings is aesthetics, nothing more. If high wings were my only choice I would buy one, but given the choice I like the low wing. They look more sporty.

My mission is to get to and from central CT and northern NH without spending 4 hours in a car. But honestly it is not very practical from a cost perspective and my dear wife won't get in a plane with me. She barely gets on a commercial 737 to go to Florida. She has a genuine fear of flying.

I used to watch planes as a kid going in and out of Goodspeed Airport and the Cessna's were fine but the Cherokee was definitely my cup of tea. The shape of the SportCrusier and Arion are visually appealing. Sure a Flight design will do the job but for about the same money i can get what I think is gorgeous. I have a 1971 Corvette, it is not the fastest car or the most refined cars but I love the lines of it.


As Tim has already pointed out there is more to consider than just an airplane that look pretty. The most important thing is support for the product. The nicest looking airplane isn't worth a pile of beans if you don't have support. Parts availability, and being able to make upgrades with factory support are very important issues. Also check on insurance. At times there have been LSA's that the insurance companies haven't wanted to touch, because of accident rate, and the ability to make repairs.

Also I suggest that you try on the different airplanes. As I have gotten older I find low wing airplanes harder to get in and out of.

Atrosa
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby Atrosa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 am

I weigh 205. That plus a CFI, which I deciding on now. The Arion Lightning is 850 empty. Take away another 30 pounds for a BRS which leaves me 250 pounds useful. So I have to find a 70 pound CFI so I can load 30 gallons of fuel. :)

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby ShawnM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:59 pm

3Dreaming wrote:As Tim has already pointed out there is more to consider than just an airplane that look pretty. The most important thing is support for the product. The nicest looking airplane isn't worth a pile of beans if you don't have support. Parts availability, and being able to make upgrades with factory support are very important issues.


Well, if product support is important to you then I'd suggest looking at aircraft other than the SportCruiser. In my experience the factory "support" is practically non-existent. The number one reason I converted from S-LSA to E-LSA. They FINALLY just introduced a LOA process after 9 years of begging for one but it's so lengthy, difficult and it's going to be VERY, VERY expensive I doubt anyone will even take advantage of it. Probably just what the factory wanted.

User avatar
Warmi
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby Warmi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Atrosa wrote:I weigh 205. That plus a CFI, which I deciding on now. The Arion Lightning is 850 empty. Take away another 30 pounds for a BRS which leaves me 250 pounds useful. So I have to find a 70 pound CFI so I can load 30 gallons of fuel. :)


I remember Nick ( Arion designer ) mentioning that he can only offer an ELSA version of the plane if you want it with the BRS installed since it was so heavy that adding the chute would put it over the minimum limit on empty weight for the LSA planes ( yes, that’s different that the max gross limit )
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

TimTaylor
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby TimTaylor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Warmi wrote:
Atrosa wrote:I weigh 205. That plus a CFI, which I deciding on now. The Arion Lightning is 850 empty. Take away another 30 pounds for a BRS which leaves me 250 pounds useful. So I have to find a 70 pound CFI so I can load 30 gallons of fuel. :)


I remember Nick ( Arion designer ) mentioning that he can only offer an ELSA version of the plane if you want it with the BRS installed since it was so heavy that adding the chute would put it over the minimum limit on empty weight for the LSA planes ( yes, that’s different that the max gross limit )


I would definitely advise against buying an LSA as weight challenged as that. There are plenty of other options available.

User avatar
HornedFrogGrant
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby HornedFrogGrant » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 pm

By dismissing all high wings out-of-hand, you could be missing out on a lot of great airplanes.

But if you have your heart set on low wing, it’s hard to go wrong with a Sportcruiser. They’re well regarded for good reason. I’ve really enjoyed each time I’ve been in one.

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby ShawnM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 pm

HornedFrogGrant wrote:But if you have your heart set on low wing, it’s hard to go wrong with a Sportcruiser. They’re well regarded for good reason. I’ve really enjoyed each time I’ve been in one.


Yeah, what he said, I love my SportCruiser. Just got back from a beautiful, morning flight today. :mrgreen:

TimTaylor
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I love both high-wing and low-wing aircraft. A few things I like about high-wing...sun not beating down on canopy, easier to get in and out at my age, less danger of getting trapped inside if you flip upside down.

User avatar
amster105
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Arion Lightning Partnership KMMK

Postby amster105 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 pm

ShawnM wrote:...keep in mind the older ones have a far better useful load than the new ones...


Thanks for confirming this for me. I learned to fly on a 2007 SportCruiser, but haven't flown it or another SportCruiser in over 6 years.

Until recently that is, when I got a chance to fly one of the newer models. I believe it was a 2016. The empty weight was significantly higher than I recall it being when I was learning to fly. I chalked it up to poor memory, but seems I wasn't going crazy after all.
Sport Pilot
ASEL ASES TW B/C/D


Return to “Hangar Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests